PSPP is a free program for statistical analysis of sampled data. It is similar to SPSS with a few exceptions. PSPP is particularly aimed at statisticians, social scientists and students requiring fast convenient analysis of sampled data.
Pre-compiled PSPP installers are not available on the PSPP web site. However, they are available from third-party sites. To find a third-party download site, go to the PSPP web site, look for the Binaries section, and click the Download link for Windows. This will take you to a page with links to third-party sites. Be sure to download the full version. Then simply unzip the executable file and run it.
Since there are no third-party web sites with pre-compiled versions of PSPP for Mac, we have created an installer for the OS X 10.5 and 10.6 operating systems. Currently, we do not have installers for OS X 10.4 or earlier. These were created using MacPorts.
Step 1: Verify system requirements
- OS X 10.5 (ppc,i386) or 10.6 (i386,x86_64)
- X11 is installed
Step 2: Download the disk image (~140MB)
Step 3: Run the installer and launch PSPP
- Mount the disk image.
- Open the disk image, and double-click the pspp-0.6.2.mpkg or pspp-0.7.8.mpkg file.
- Run the installer.
After installation, try launching the application in one of the following ways:
- Double-click the pspp application, located inside /Applications/MacPorts/.
- In Terminal run /opt/local/bin/pspp or /opt/local/bin/psppire.
- It is helpful to make an alias by simply placing it in the dock .
For more information about PSPP, visit the PSPP website for more information.