The following instructions are for users who would like to use GeneSpring on the Linux cluster. If you need technical assistance with GeneSpring on the cluster, please contact the BMI Help Desk.
To run GeneSpring, a graphical application, you must use X11. Other "terminal" programs do not forward the X session correctly. Here's how to access this installation:
- Log on to bmiclusterp.chmcres.cchmc.org, the DMZ cluster login node (if you're using a Mac, substitute -Y for the -X):
ssh -X bmiclusterp.chmcres.cchmc.org
- Now to start up an interactive GeneSpring job, just type the following in a terminal:
Downloading a working genome (required for first-time users)
If starting GeneSpring for the first time, you will need to download a working genome.
- From the menu at the top of the screen, choose Edit, then Preferences, and select the Workgroup tab. Click New, and enter the following:
Workgroup Server Name: Signet Workgroup Server Address: 22.214.171.124:1104 Default Username: The username you use to access Signet Select "Different sides" and "No" for the options at bottom and click "OK"
Workgroup Server Name: Architect Workgroup Server Address: 126.96.36.199:80 Default Username: The username you use to access Architect Select "Different sides" and "No" for the options at bottom and click "OK"
- From the menu at the top of the screen, choose File, then Login to Workgroup Server to log in to Signet.
- From the menu at the top of the screen, choose File, then Genome Manager.
- Expand the folder Signet, select the genome you want,and click Copy from Workgroup Server.