Several types of storage are available to research users at Cincinnati Children's:
- RDS: Institutionally supported enterprise storage -- i.e., divisional shared and project drives
- Web-based storage systems for specific research data types -- e.g., genotype, microarray, flow cytometry
- BMIISI: Other specialized storage on CHMCRES -- i.e., any option that doesn't fit within the first two categories
Cincinnati Children's maintains institutionally supported storage for research. Each research division receives 100GB of shared space free of charge. Increases to these free quotas and additional project-based storage space are available at the following charge-back rates:
- $0.10/GB/year for space without backup
- $0.20/GB/year for space with full (two-month) backup
- $0.40/GB/year for space with extended (one-year) backup
In additional to regular space, long-term archive space is available for $0.10/GB/year.
New requests, as well as requests for quota increase of RDS drives should be submitted through BeMyIT Store .
More information on RDS:
- About RDS
- List of paths to Divisional shared drives
- Managing permissions
- Mapping drives on Windows
- Mapping drives on Mac OS X
- Restoring files on Windows
- Restoring files on Mac OS X
- RDS new requests, and changes to existing drives
- Permissions Manager for RDS (accessible only from the Cincinnati Children's internal network)
For assistance, contact Research IT Support
Web-based storage systems for specific research data types
Biomedical Informatics currently is developing several web interfaces for uploading and downloading specific research data types. By using these systems, researchers save space on their personal and project drives. In addition, files are stored in a structured rather than unstructured environment, which means they can be more easily found and identified.
Currently, the following web-based systems are available:
Plans are under way to develop an additional web interface for storing image files.
If you are interested in using any of these systems, please email Research IT Support.
BMIISI: Other specialized storage on CHMCRES
Biomedical Informatics also maintains storage systems on the Research domain that are specialized and don't fit into the above categories. Examples might be server attached storage for database and other servers, storage in support of cluster computing, and storage with special requirements such as bandwidth and latency.
Server name: bmiisi.chmcres.cchmc.org
Permissions Manager for BMIISI (accessible from anywhere, requires a Research Network Environment (RNE) account)
Charge-back rates are the same as for RDS storage
Please contact Research IT Support if you need any kind of storage, and we'll be happy to work with you to create the proper setup.